Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Meteor Crater, Navajo County Fair & Rodeo, Quading



This last weekend our family went to Holbrook and Show Low, Arizona, to spend some time with Kris and Stan (my in-laws.) On our way to Holbrook we stopped at Meteor Crater; this was very exciting for our family as we are big fans of Space Exploration and all things Space related. We took a quick tour of the museum and then went out to look at the crater.



We climbed back into the car and headed to Holbrook for the Navajo County Fair & Rodeo. Unfortunately, the rodeo started late so I don't have any pictures other than the picture of the arena. My camera doesn't handle the dark well. One of the best parts of the rodeo was when Lela participated in the Grocery race, this is where they put packages of stuff kids like to eat (chips, juice boxes, candy, etc) in the arena and a bunch of kids run out their and pick it all up. Lela sprained her ankle but she was a trooper about it. Our other favorite part of the rodeo was the bull riding. The bulls won hands down with only two riders holding on long enough to get a score. One rider did get stepped on pretty bad and most likely ended up with a few broken ribs but he walked out of the arena on his own power. Lela and I walked around the fair looking at the craft winners, their were some really beautiful quilts (sorry no pictures, got to respect the artists.) The girls fell asleep on the way back to the in-laws.


Okay now some of you who know me are thinking right about now: "WHAT??? Bull riding?!? Mandy watches bull riding ?!? Well not exactly, my parents got Lela interested in bull riding and then David got into it too. So yes, I watch bull riding with my family.

Oh, and just for the record, I do not own a pair of cowboy boots......yet.

The next morning on Saturday, we took my in-laws quads out for a ride around their property. Okay, "quading" is that a real word? I am not sure but lots of people own quads and go quading. In fact my in-laws hosted a really big quading jamboree recently with 350 people. Crazy! Who knew? Not me obviously. Here are some photos of the girls and David on the quads. Yes, I drove one of the quads, badly. In my defense, you have to use your hands to drive and since I have advanced carpal tunnel it really hurt to hold down the lever that was the gas for so long. Oh well, I'll just have to work on it because I have been told that I will be involved in quading expeditions in the future.







1 Comment:

Liz said...

Weatherlooked perfect..Looks life a relaxing getaway